Hey everyone. Who is ready for some healthy sandwich ideas?? I’m lining up some yummy sandwich recipes to share with you! These are perfect anytime you need a lunch, brunch or light dinner recipe. I never tire of a good sandwich do you?
You can pack this recipe away for picnic season too. One thing I like doing with tuna salad is taking the tuna salad in a container, packed on ice. Then at my destination such as the park making them. They only take a minute to build and the kids are nearby playing. But, making ahead of time is fine too, especially if you go to the beach.
To this day I love eating potato chips with tuna. But, since I’m watching what I eat I’ve been foregoing adding them to my plate. I’ve been having a carrot apple juice instead. Keeping my lunch on the healthy side. Let’s get started with this recipe.
- All nutritional information was provided by Oroweat® Bread
This is only one version of the yummy sandwich we love to make, so stay tuned for the next one. I’ll have a step by step with that recipe too. Today’s recipe serves two. But, the recipe can easily be doubled and tripled.
What you’ll need for the sandwich recipe:
- 1 can of Albacore Tuna (packed in water)
- Black Olives (pitted)
- Purple Onion
- Lettuce (ice-burg)
- 1 lime
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 Garlic clove (crushed)
- Bread 4 slices (I used Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat Bread)
Albacore Tuna Salad Sandwiches
- 1 can of Albacore Tuna packed in water
- •1/4 cup or less of Mayonnaise
- •1/3 cup finely chopped pitted black olives
- •1/4 cup finely chopped purple onion
- •a few springs of cilantro without stems finely chopped
- •1 tomato sliced
- •lettuce ice-burg
- •1 lime
- •cracked black pepper
- •1 garlic clove crushed
- •Bread 4 slices I used Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Wash and pat dry veggies.
Open and drain water from albacore tuna can.
Finely chop pitted black olives set into bowl. (About a little less than half a can = 1/3cup)
Finely chop your quarter of a purple onion
Finely chop cilantro
Add all the ingredients into a bowl.
Sprinkle a quarter wedge of lime, add crushed garlic, add dash of cracked pepper and 1/4 cup or less of Mayonnaise to bowl and stir gently.
Finely chop a few slices of tomato and add into the mixture. Stir in gently.
Build your sandwich, layer of tuna salad mixture. Then top with a few tomatoes and lettuce. Top with your final piece of bread. Slice and serve.
Serve with soup, salad, chips or fruit. Enjoy any time of year. Additionally you can add a slight layer of Dijon mustard to the top of the bread if you wish. When serving the real little ones I typically make a separate bowl of tuna with only mayo and olives.
This recipe can easily be adapted, doubled and tripled. Add mixture as thick or thin as you prefer.
Why albacore tuna? It’s a higher quality tuna that is all white and is a prized food.
For today’s sandwich recipe I picked Oroweat’s Whole Grains 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Why? Oroweat® Whole Grains 100% Whole Wheat sliced bread is premium bread with a whopping 21g of whole grains per slice! Oroweat® Whole Grains 100% Whole Wheat sliced bread is 90 calories and has no high fructose corn syrup or artificial colors or flavoring.
You see this is one big, yummy and hearty sandwich! I’ve loved Oroweat breads for a long time. Have you tried them?
- They are happy to sponsor one of my readers for a few free coupons so you can try the Oroweat brand of bread. Some of my other Oroweat favorites are their whole grains and dill rye.
- Just take your chance via the Rafflecopter! *Note rules and follow the tasks in the widget. Sorry international friends (USA Only)
- To check out our sponsor visit via the links below!
- Good luck!!
Enter Giveaway here:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
What’s your favorite thing to pair with your sandwich ideas and recipes?