When it comes to home décor sometimes we forget how much style, comfort and efficiency can come from window coverings. There are so many options available. Deciding what’s the right look, picking them out and ordering can feel complicated. Proper size, stylish look is what the end goal is. You want blinds or drapes you’d be happy with for a long time. Today I’m sharing a few tips that helped us begin to add window covering to our home.
A little back story. We first moved into our fixer upper almost 14 years ago this summer! (How time flies.) It’s been a slow upgrading process. First with updating our floors, then painting the rooms. (Which need painting again.) Back then, we just decided to add blinds to our home. Why blinds? For us it was an easy choice as we wanted to create privacy and keep out the sun out during the hot summer months/ cold out in winter. We knew they’d be efficient.
We recently added our first set of drapes to our home thanks to Budget Blinds. Which makes me wish I had added drapes sooner. Why? Because it really finishes off a room, creates a mood and adds style. Let me share a few things to help you when your ready to update your drapes or blinds.
Window Coverings Design Ideas And Tips
I’m sure like most people it’s all about taste, budget and what style or mood you are trying to create for each room. But, here’s a few style tips I’ve learned along the way.
Window Treatment Styling Tips
- Layering window treatments creates energy efficiency
- If you pick using only blinds it creates a modern look
- Shades can create light filtering to dark, or blackout (blackout blinds are perfect for baby/toddlers napping)
- All fabric looks can include sheers to increase drama / elegance
- Then there are motorization options for total convenience and energy saving
- Don’t forget to dress up your slider doors too
For our living room we picked a wood bamboo covering for our slider doors and a wood blind for dining room windows. Then it stayed that way for ever! Until I had the chance to try Budget Blinds. The drapes we picked are a charcoal gray linen with grommets.
Here you can see with the blinds cracked open slightly how the sun is filtered by the window coverings.
Even during the brightest part of the day I couldn’t seem to get the perfect shot to share. Naughty kitty. They really are pretty. You can take a closer look below!
Here are the home décor changes we are making with our dining/living room open space.
- The red walls (so 2002) will become a shade of blue on the accent walls
- The cream color will then become a soft white with a hint of blue or gray
- The blinds will stay wood and new Essential Linens are shown which we chose in charcoal
- I will be painting the table and chairs (or replacing the set)
- And I will be covering the seats of the chairs
- We may get a rug for under the table
This will pull the entire room together. Brightening it up and giving it new life. I picked a charcoal gray which is the perfect neutral for changing colors in the room later on. Here’s a close up of the products.
Essential Linens Panel Details:
- We needed the 52″ x 84″ (2)
- Style Grommet Panel
- Matte Nickle
- Color Charcoal
- These are dry cleanable or machine washable
- They are lined in the back
We also got the hardware from Budget Blinds. Here’s our thoughts on the products.
- They are a lovely shade of charcoal gray. I love them!
- The linen drapes wrinkled in the package due to being folded but, was easily ironed and hung to look beautiful
- I did not iron the lining & don’t recommend doing it either!
- The grommets are a nice color that don’t detract from the look (if you don’t like grommets there are so many other options!)
- The hardware to hang it is sturdy & high quality!!
- Somehow the directions for the hardware were missing but, we figured it out.
- You unscrew the back of the hooks, then screw the hardware backing plate in place onto the wall. Then screw the finish hook to the backing plate and adjust with the allen head screw.
How you measure for window treatments is very important. It can get complicated depending on the style of windows you have. (with /without panes) We did our own window measuring. Two people and two times for accuracy.
Honestly it’d be worth it to have an expert help. You can from Budget Blinds they offer free swatches, free in home consultation and local offers! This is where we got our dining room linen drapes from. They also have a Virtual Decorator to play with design ideas and different types of window coverings.
- Here’s where you can get a free design guide
What else do I love about Budget Blinds? They offer Child Safe Options and retro fit kits. The support and give back to Veteran’s. See their site for more details. On their site you may see The Property Brother’s who also use Budget Blinds! I love that show. Don’t you??
What’s your design style?? Have you updated your home décor lately?