Today I’m sharing a holiday crafts project and tutorial that I think you’ll love making. It’ s Christmas Chalky Finish Project! Yes, I’m excited to share a holiday project with you that provides you with a step by step diy to creating your own project. I encourage you to take the idea creating your own spin for your holiday decor. Bonus enter to win your own set of Chalk Paint Supplies with my giveaway! Yes, you heard right! More about that in a minute. First let me share my #chalkyfinish project with you.
- Grab your supplies (listed below) no special drawing or painting skills needed for this project!
- Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint is available in Michaels in the wood and finishes aisle. Visit the DecoArt Chalky Finish website for more chalk paint ideas and inspiration.
I’ll help you create this Joy Holiday advent Count Down to Christmas DIY Project!
But,you can take the idea, spin it any way you like. Not to mention pick from many color options in the Amaericana Decor Chalky Finish paint line. You’ll love that you don’t have to pre prep your work when using chalk paint!
What you’ll need for this #chalkyfinish diy project are these supplies;
- A few paint brushes such as a two inch and an angled brush
- Painters Tape
- Base Wood Plaque such as ArtMinds ™ Rectangle Wide Edge Plaque Item# 10155126
- Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint (colors I used were: Everlasting, Romance and Carbon)
- Glitter Paint Writer-DecoArt Craft Twinkles Writer Gold/Or/Oro
- Glitter Ribbon Item# M10217109
- Holiday decorated or glittered mini clothes pins
- Wood Letters J, O and Y
- Wood Pegs/ Lara’s Crafts® Wood Game Pieces, Boy, 5/8″ X 1 11/16″ Item# 10110928
- Wood Mini Spools
- Wood glue
- Optional drill press 5/8″ boring drill bit
- Chalk Pen Gold or White Item# 10248384 or My Favorite Chalk Pen is: Chalk Ink Wet Wipe Markers
- Optional twine trim
- Command Strips for Hanging
Here are the steps for creating the holiday #decoartpaints project;
- Paint all but the back of your Base Wood Plaque with Everlasting Chalky Finish paint – let dry or dry with a heat gun
- Paint the wood letters JOY in Romance two coats let dry in between coats
- Take the Glitter Paint Writer (gold glitter/glue paint) and paint along edges of rectangle plaque and each letter JOY let dry completely!
- Mark in pencil lightly where you will place the letters about 1-1/2 ” from top, mark bottom pegs placement
- Bore with drill three holes for pegs and wood glue inside (optionally glue to wood without drilling)
- After pegs are dry paint with Everlasting and touch up as needed
- For Charbon / Count Down Lettering area*I measured half way between wood letters JOY and pegs
- Use a ruler and draw skinny rectangle for message then place tape on lightly drawn lines
- Paint with Carbon, let dry and pull off tape *touch up as needed with angle brush
- Next trace an oval shape onto holiday stock paper and cut out place behind O leaving a small wood area not covered with paper to allow for glue on both paper to wood and glue to wood contact
I decided to add a little trim across the top. A girl has a right to change her mind! Right? Alot! Right!? I glued it right onto the wood. It gives it a little peppermint flair. Should I go all the way around? I may have just enough trim. I had a vote and we are a house divided with the trim. Be my tie breaker!
- Next glue all letters down with wood glue (including the stock paper under O and let dry
- Paint around edges of rectangle with Romance let dry (this can be done prior to gold/glitter paint! be careful not to get on white if you do it this way)
- Cut ribbon and place mini close pins onto ribbon and hang from pegs or make a garland with chalky painted spools
I did both garlands. I’ll show you how in another tutorial but, just from looking you probably can figure it out! I painted the little spools with chalky finish paint. They look so pretty in person.
Don’t you love the blingy balls!? I found all the little touches while walking around Michaels Craft Store. The gold writing is with Chalk Ink Wet Wipe Markers. I love them. They are my favorite chalk marker! Ever! The color I used was Solid Gold Dancer! Can you hear me singing? Stayin Alive! Stayin Alive! This project can be finished with wax or varnish which are also carried in the DecoArtPaints line.
This post was sponsored by DecoArt all images, text and opinions are 100% my own. We hope you enjoy creating your own Chalky finish Project!
- Look no further just visit here for “more chalk paint ideas and inspiration”
Have you created any projects or holiday projects with #ChalkyPaint finish?
Now, for the giveaway! USA Only. Enter through the Rafflecopter! Earn Extra Entries! Good Luck!
The Giveaway Prize of Chalky Finish Paints & Craft Supplies;
- Enter for a chance to win 8 colors of your choice, clear and dark creme waxes, Soft Touch varnish, waxing brush and 2 stencils of your choice *.The items pictured are representations only. The stencils and paint will be selected by the winner!