One of the best things we did recently was to organize our DVDs and CDs. It’s made a huge difference in making space in our home. We are big movie lovers and music lovers in our family. Unfortunately, our collection had outgrown what we needed and watched. Plus, what we did have was hard to find. We organize our home several times of the year. When spring cleaning, summer for back to school, cleaning for fall and the holidays and cleaning right after Christmas.
When you are done with these home organizing tips or looking for other organizing tips be sure to look here for home organization ideas.
We just continued to collect movies and music adding to our collection but hadn’t gone through them since donating our VHS tapes. (in other words a long time) We nixed the DVD CD stand (but, if you have a family room or movie room the DVD stand is a great solution), sorted every movie DVD and music CD, and kept the ones we still enjoy rewatching or listening to, putting them into DVD and CD books with sleeves.
Organize DVDs and CDs
One of the reasons we got rid of our DVD stand was it was taking up too much space in our home. Although it was really nice, we didn’t have a dedicated tv room or family room. This is a really good thing to do if you are downsizing your home, prior to moving, looking for more space, getting ready to be an empty nester, or heading off to college. Or just practicing the Art of Tidying Up
Home Organization Tips
This is just a portion of the movies we had to organize. We also had a pile on our dining table of DVDs and CDs.
How to Organize Your DVDs and CDs
- Purchase a DVD CD Case with sleeves, or put them into nice DVD CD Books (perfect for bookcases or shelves)
- Sort every movie DVD and music CD into keep or donate. You can also sort games for the x-box, Wii or tv. My daughter (who is a teen) is doing that since she plays the games. I purchased a storage bin for the Wii games.
- Next, take each movie out of the case to put the case into recycling.
- You can easily slip the DVD into the protective sleeve.
- If you want you can label sections with a labeler, create categories for your movies (kids, comedy, family, romantic comedy, action…)
- Store your DVD book in a closet, bookcase, shelf or close by where you watch movies.
- Add a few DVDs and CDs (in a smaller case, or portable cases such as this CD Wallet ) to take with you when traveling or listening to music while driving.
- If you want you can add them into protective sleeves then into a box, bin, basket-sized for DVDs and CDs; how-to organize DVDs video.
We just slipped our DVD book, all freshly organized on the top shelf of our entryway closet in the living room. It’s easy to grab the case and flip through to our favorite movies to watch at home. This Case held 400 DVDs and I didn’t think we’d fill it but, we did! It’s hard to believe we had twice as much. We had been collecting movies for over 30 years. No matter how long you have been collecting DVDs or CDs. This really will help you pare down, getting rid of unused items and keeps them organized neatly and safely.
We are going all Marie Kondo this summer, have you read the book The Art of Tidying Up or seen the series on Netflix? You guys, this is life-changing. We are loving the book and series. Although, grab someone to help you if it’s been a while since you have organized your home. Take it one project at a time, and don’t give up. Be sure to see our other tips for whipping your home into shape. You will have it done in no time flat.
Happy movie viewing, organizing and storing!
- New here? Don’t forget to Subscribe
- Pin it for Later
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Home Organization Pinterest
- Home Organization