There are a lot of things to be thankful for during the holidays. It also can be so easy to lose sight of the real meanings of the holiday season. Not to get all preachy but, we do live in a very commercial and materialistic world. Today’s post is all about holiday spirit. How can we get holiday spirit?
Let me share a story with you. A long time ago as a young mother of four kids, there was this one Christmas holiday where I didn’t have any money to give gifts to the kids. After many years of being able to my heart sunk. That is the worst feeling ever. I worried what I was going to do. My mom who always did things for my kids was still living at the time, so I knew they would at least get a present from her.
The feeling of not being able to have a gift from Santa was the worst experience as a loving parent. Although I knew in my heart that all the cookies we made, paper crafts for the holidays, school plays and helping others were the spirit of the holidays; that commercial world still held fast to the tradition that at least a gift from Santa was very important.
Then on Christmas eve that year my mom popped by and said someone had stopped by her house. It was a friend or neighbor who didn’t want recognition for the gifting. But, just wanted the spirit of Christmas to be passed along. I was totally surprised and when the kids woke up to these gifts under the tree, I cried and knew one day I would pay it forward.
Every year, rather than think of not only my family we put together canned goods, foods, toys and gift cards and donate them to others. If I only have two dollars in my wallet and pass by a bell ringer I’ll add one in. The true holiday spirit is in giving. As much as we love the sparkle of shiny lights, pretty packages and dressed up homes it is that simple.
I made a Holiday Spirit Giving Calendar for anyone who would love to get into the real holiday spirit by giving. Hope you enjoy these ideas. But, feel free to come up with your own with your kids. They are great conversation starters about the true meanings of holiday spirit. Also encourage your kids to join in caroling, singing and playing instruments in a nursing home and other activities like this that bring so much joy and the holiday spirit to others.
Free Printable Calendar of Ideas for Giving
Easy Free Printables Version Of Holiday Spirit / Kindness Calendar of Ideas for Giving (click here version 1)
- (The above version does not print with the black line) Two options save as and print or go to Google Drive for easy print options via click here links.
Easy Free Printables Version Of Holiday Spirit / Kindness Calendar of Ideas for Giving (Click Here Version 2)
- Related Free Printables for the holidays & more!
What are some of the ways you love to get into the holiday spirit?
The #12daysofblogmas Giveaway Sponsors:
- Gingerbread Cookie Wreath and Champagne Cupcakes $29.95 SoBakeable
- 4 $50 Gift Cards $200.00 JORD Watches
- Gift Card $50.00 AMI ClubWear
- Kids Lightup Animal $29.95 Kinderglo
- My Blend Smoothie Maker $24.99 Oster
- Play Makeup Set $13.99 Little Cosmetics
- Spicy Box of Awesome $54.00 Fuego Box
- Set of paint sticks $6.00 Kwiksitcks
- Smile Brilliant Kit $159 Smile Brilliant
- Gift Card $50 Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt
- 1 Game Set Games
- Essential Oil Recipe Box $49 Simply Earth
- Natural Organic Lipstick $28.00 Axiology Beauty
- Bracelet and earrings set $25 Revel Designs by Shelly
- Childrens Book signed by author $15 Danielle Soucy Mills
- Gift Card $50 Baby Cubby
- White Wipes Teeth Wipes (for wine and coffee lovers) $30 White Wipes
- 2 Personalized Phone Cases $80 CaseApp
- Gift card $50 Little Italy Layette
#12daysofblogmas Enter The Giveaway through the Rafflecopter: (US Only)
Visit Everyone’s Posts:
More about ‘Giving Back’ from the 12 Days of Blogmas Bloggers!
- Ways for Kids to Give Back to Others by Views From a Step Stool
- Giving Back During the Holidays by Babies, Bloodhounds and Booze, Oh My!
- Showing Kindness this Holiday Season by Motherhood and Merlot
- Kindness and Giving Back by My Urban Adventures
- Holiday Spirit and Kindness Free Printables by Dear Creatives
- How Do You Get Into The Holiday Spirit? by Verified Mom
- Seven Things to Know About Donating to a Food Bank by Ripped Jeans and Bifocals
- The Joy of Giving by My Legendary Style
- On the First Day of Blogmas We’re Giving Back and Giving Away by Mrs. AOK a Work in Progress
- Teaching Kids to Give Back Starts with Setting an Example by One Ruud Mom
- Giving Back This Holiday Season by Girl on the Move Blog