With grilling season in full swing there are times when you need meatless alternatives. Do you know someone vegetarian or just want to lighten up your meals sometime? When my oldest daughter was a teen she announced she was becoming a vegetarian. Of course I wanted to support her in that decision. And did. I had a huge garden and was able to easily adapt a meal to vegetarian. I also try to accommodate my vegetarian guests.
With summers when grilling I always would look for vegetarian alternatives. What’s great is these days it’s so much easier to find those choices in our stores and the choices are more affordable! Not like back when she was a teen.
Recently I had the chance to try the brand LightLife with my moms group. They have been around since 1979. They have a variety of products, some I’ve tried before. But, this was the first time trying their jumbo Smart Dogs.
Lightlife Smart Dogs
For grilling Smart Dogs are a plant based grill ready hot dog, you keep in the fridge. They are so easy to use. Just open the package up. If you want, you can slice them in half. As they are big dogs! Grill or cook them half or whole. We grilled ours whole.
Grilling Smart Dogs Review:
- Most of us tried grilling ours. Consensus was: When you dress them up, they are tasty! To be honest, a plain dog is just plain. Served hot, is better than not. We talked about topping. Discussed some of the yummy vegan recipes that we saw on the Lightlife site. *see our hot dog favorite below
Our favorite ways to top grilled vegan options:
- dill relish
- red onions
- vegetarian chili beans
- mustard or brown mustard
- jalapenos or green chilies
What are some of your favorite ways to top your dogs?? Or vegan burgers
Other alternatives from Lightlife
I just grabbed a package of the Italian Meatless sausages. When I try them I’ll update you on those. I’ve had their meatless patties and really love those. But, that is just me. I love patties vs. dogs, meat or no meat. Our group tasting opportunity came from greenmomsmeet all opinions are our own.
They also have some yummy recipes on their site! Like Grilled Smart Dogs with a Sesame Apple Slaw!
Grilled Franks with Sesame Apple Slaw
This veggie dog recipe with sesame apple slaw is sure to fill you up and keep your taste buds happy. Try this Sesame Apple Slaw
I loved the convenience of them and so did my group. Why? Here’s a few reasons why besides being convenient.
- they are certified vegan and non-GMO
- they are low calorie, while containing protein
- they are refrigerated fresh
- they can easily be found in the produce, daily or natural food sections in the grocery store
- affordable $2.99-$3.99
- easy to cook, no extra prep involved *other than keeping away from meats
Want to check out all the vegetarian, meatless options?? Visit Lightlife and see where to find them in your local stores.
You’ll also find Lightlife on social media! @LightLife
- Subscribe for all our posts
Have you tried any Lightlife products? Which are your favorites?