Who is ready for a good side salad? Today’s is for Sweet Potato Salad with Pineapple. This is a quick, and easy recipe! You all love that don’t you? I know I do. Not only does it look pretty it tastes yummy. You might remember, I made it to go with our grilled chicken and barbecue chicken sliders recipe that I made it for a football party? And promised to share it. Here I am with the Sweet Potato with Pineapple Salad Recipe.
If you missed that grilled recipe post you can check out when your done. I shared an awesome recipe for chicken sliders topped with sautéed onions, and cheese crumbles. On the same post I shared a few grilling tips too.
I found, and adapted today’s recipe from a grilling cookbook called Grill Skills. Now, this recipe is not grilled. It is one of the side dishes in the cookbook. You peel and cut up the sweet potatoes then bake them before starting the recipe. Let’s get started.
Sweet Potato Salad with Pineapple
The cookbook also has tips for throwing parties, flowers, music, table settings, and grilling recipes. I served the recipe in clear single serving cups. But, you can serve this sweet potato salad from serving dish.
The first thing you do is line a baking sheet with foil. Next wash, peel and cut up three large sweet potatoes. Salt, pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until you can fork them, you don’t want them overly soft. Baking time about 30 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are baking. I washed, cut up my lime, green onion and cilantro. I put them in my Pyrex storage bowls that come with lids until needed. I left some cilantro un-chopped for garnishing.
I used a rounded 1/4 tsp. Paprika, a couple of dashes of dried red pepper flakes and a can of cubed pineapple with 1/4 cup of the juice. I tossed the rest or you can reserve it to adjust recipe if you like. Next I squeezed a quarter of a lime juice into the bowl over the tops of the sweet potatoes. Stir together gently.
Next Add all your green onion I used 5 chopped finely. Add cilantro I added a good handful about half a cup chopped. Gently stir them in.
Now you can either serve it in a bowl like this or add to little cups for serving. When put into small clear party serving cups it filled up nine. If served in a bowl I’d say you can serve up to 6 people. If you haven’t tried this type of potato salad your in for a treat. It’s really good.
Sweet Potato Salad
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 can chopped Pineapple *Reserve the juice (you'll be using some of the juice)
- Wash, peel and cut the three sweet potatoes. Spread onto a foil lined baking sheet. preheat oven to 400 degrees. Salt, pepper and drizzle olive oil over potatoes. Then bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Wash and chop 5 green onions from the bunch.
- Wash a bunch of cilantro, pull out a portion for garnishing, finely chop the other half.
- Rinse and cut up lime.
- Take out sweet potatoes when done and let them cool a bit.
- Add spices, squeeze a wedge of lime, chopped pineapple and 1/4 of the reserved pineapple juice.
- Serve with cut up limes and a small bowl or shaker with dried crushed red peppers.
This is the type of recipe that is good all year round. Great for a football parties, showers or holiday gathering and summer barbecues. Want to check out the cookbook I adapted it from?
- Grill Skills
- Be sure to subscribe for more easy recipes…
- Looking for other recipes? Check out our recipe index and recipe gallery
What’s your favorite party side dish?