Hey, all my foodie friends and readers! It’s that time to show off your sandwich recipes in the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest! Today I’m sharing my sandwich recipe with you, along with a giveaway and how you can enter the Contest! Update the contest is over but, you can still grab The Best Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe right here on this post. You might want to consider entering because the grand prize value is $25,000!. Yep, you heard me right!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Caprese Grilled Cheese
Today’s recipe is for an idea for lunch or dinner. But, if you want one for breakfast don’t let me stop you! Start with a healthy, yummy bread. I picked a whole grain bread.
This recipe is grilled but, you could skip grilling it if you wanted. But, if you like melted cheese and fresh summer tomatoes you’ll want to make this one grilled! It just brings out all the flavors of the simplest ingredients.
Caprese Sandwich Ingredients
- 12 grain bread (Oroweat)
- fresh sliced mozzarella cheese
- fresh organic tomatoes
- fresh basil
Tools you’ll need are a non stick skillet with lid, knife and spatula.
Steps for making a caprese grilled cheese
- •12 grain bread or any (Oroweat) bread
- •fresh sliced mozzarella cheese *such as Primo Taglio
- •fresh organic tomatoes
- •fresh basil
- Start by rinsing off your produce.
- Take the basil leaves off the stem.
- Slice your tomatoes.
- Slice your mozzarella cheese (if not pre sliced)
- Add about 1 tbsp. butter to your pan and warm it up on low, as the butter melts spread it around. Add your bread right away. Lightly brown and flip over. Add your cheese, tomatoes and basil to one of the slices.
- Top with your other piece of bread.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and brown lightly, ensure cheese is melted and tomatoes warmed.
- Remove onto cutting board and slice in half then serve.
- Tools you'll need are a non stick skillet with lid, knife and spatula. Best if made one at a time. Salt, pepper lightly if desired. You might want to cook on medium but, it's best if you use low and take your time. Your butter will not brown and bread won't burn. Trust me, for yum sometimes you just need to take your time cooking.
For today’s sandwich recipe I used Oroweat 12 Grain Bread. Don’t you just want to take a big, ole bite?? But I really love all their breads.
Why I love Oroweat Breads:
I love using Oroweat® Whole Grains Sliced Breads and Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls, which contain zero grams of trans fat and no high fructose corn syrup….The reason I love the The Oroweat® Healthfull® bread varieties so much is that they are made with 100% whole grains, heart healthy and have zero grams of trans fat. All the breads are a good source of fiber.
My favorite from all their varieties is the Dill Rye bread! Especially for my tuna salad sandwich and guacamole veggie sandwiches.
- Availability: Oroweat® bread is available across the Western U.S. It can be found in the Midwestern U.S. as Brownberry® bread and in the Eastern U.S. as Arnold® bread
This contest has ended.
- Oroweat® Bread is excited to launch their “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest! The sandwich architect whose filling matches the goodness of Oroweat® Bread will win a grand prize of $25,000.
- Before entering an original better sandwich, entrants should make sure their recipes include any of the Oroweat® Sliced Breads, including any of the Oroweat® Sandwich Thins® Rolls varieties.
- This year’s contest includes five (5) exciting sandwich categories including:
- “Open-Faced Artistry” (sandwiches are works of art for the world to see, and these snacks and meals should announce their nutritious ingredients—like bright beets or tasty tuna— sans second slice);
- “Breakfast in Bread” (these sandwiches, featuring nutrient rich breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, invoke images of cozy mornings in bed or boisterous brunches with friends);
- “Creative Classics” (nutritious spins on sandwich creations that have stood the test of time, such as grandma’s club sandwich, BLT or other old-time favorites);
- “Fueling Good” (these sandwiches should incorporate ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron)
- “State Favorites” (whether it’s a well-known sandwich in the state you reside, or a must-have local dish that can transition into a sandwich, celebrate your state pride by re-creating these state favorites with better-for-you ingredients)
- The recipe in each sandwich category with the highest score will receive a $5,000 category prize.
- Entries will be accepted June 15th – August 21st, online consumer voting will take place September 26th – October 23rd, and the winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day- November 3rd.
- Oroweat® bread will donate one (1) loaf of bread (up to 100,000 loaves) to Feeding America for each valid entry submission during the entry period and vote received during the online voting phase of the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest
- More information on the “2016 America’s Better Sandwich” Contest Official Rules and Donation Program terms and conditions can be found at http://www.americasbettersandwich.com .
The contest is over.
Try making any of my sandwich recipes or a favorite of your own.
- You can find more sandwich recipes in my recipe index if you need help getting ideas for your winning recipe!
DearCreatives.com is responsible for the giveaway, random prize selection. Oroweat® Bread is only providing the prize. USA only, no P.O. boxes, must provide valid email for notification and respond to winning entry within 48hours.
Today’s post is brought to you by our sponsor. All opinions, photography are my own. I did receive coupons and compensation for making my recipe. Information for the America’s Better Sandwich Contest was provided to me by Oroweat.
What Sandwich would you make if you won??