Every now and then you just need a simple icebox cake recipe to create a dessert that everyone can enjoy. If you love bananas that this is for you! If you don’t you could swap out the bananas for strawberries. This is one of those dessert recipes that is an easy icebox cake to make. I think you’ll make it over and over again. Now I have to admit it’s a cake box recipe but, I recently I’ve pinned a few white cake recipes that would work for it if you have the time to bake a cake from scratch. I’ll point you to that later in the post. First let me share how easy this icebox cake – baking recipe is to make.
Gather your supplies together and make a white cake, then let it cool. You can use 8 x 8 pans, 2 rounds or a 9 x 13. While it’s cooling you make a batch of banana pudding. I used a large box of Jell-O Pudding and Pie filling. I opted for the quick, easy Jell-O Instant Pudding & Pie Filling Banana Cream. Again if you have time feel free to make the cook and serve banana cream pudding. (6.5 serving size)
Easy Icebox Cake
Next I let the pudding set up. When it’s ready pull out your defrosted Cool Whip or make whip cream. Have a box of Vanilla Wafers handy! My grandma used to make the best banana cream pie with vanilla wafers. This easy icebox banana pudding cake reminded me of it!
Easy Icebox Cake: Banana Pudding
- Duncan Hines White Cake Mix or Bake a cake from scratch
- Jello Instant Pudding Banana Cream
- Cool Whip (or Heavy Whipping Cream, Vanilla, Confectioners Sugar)
- Nabisco Nilla Wafers
- Bananas or Strawberries
- Baking Pan
- Baking Supplies
I used Cool Whip Topping vs heavy whipping cream. But, here’s how to make whipping cream if you prefer: Whip the heavy cream up in a cold stainless steel bowl. When your heavy cream peaks add in one teaspoon vanilla and confectioners sugar to taste. Do not over beat the whipping cream.
When your ready to put the icebox cake together. Take your cooled cake and layer the pudding on the top of the cooled cake. Next take bananas, slice them and layer them across the top of the cake.
After your done with that layer then add your cool whip or whipped cream topping over the entire pan. Next break up Vanilla Wafers and cover the top of the whip cream topping. Keep your cake in the fridge covered until ready to serve. This Banana Pudding Icebox Cake will last a few days in the fridge covered if you have left overs.
My favorite baking pan is this Wilton Perfect Results 8 Inch Square Pan as pictured in the post.
- Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
- Jello Instant Pudding & Pie Filling Banana Cream
- Cool Whip
- Nabisco Vanilla Wafers
- Fresh Bananas
- Bake Your White Cake by the directions on box or your recipe. Let cool completely.
- Make the Banana Cream Pudding.
- Spread Pudding over cooled cake.
- Peel and slice a banana or two. Add a layer of sliced bananas to the entire cake with pudding.
- Spread Cool Whip over the bananas.
- Crumble and add Nilla wafers to the top of the cake.
- Keep in fridge covered until serving.
- Fruit can easily be substituted for strawberries or another favorite summer fruit.
- If you want to bake a white cake from scratch just hop over to my Cake Board I have a bunch pinned.
- If you don’t want to make a cake I found this yummy looking Magnolia Bakery’s Famous Banana Pudding Recipe
- If your looking for a No Bake Ice Box Cake Recipe
Here’s a few other Banana Recipes I’ve made:
- Rustic Banana Bread Recipe
- Banana Bread With Blueberries & Pecans
- Visit the Recipe Gallery for other easy desserts! Just scroll toward bottom.
Do you have a favorite Icebox Cake? Or banana recipe?