I was inspired by an easy diy project I saw. I knew I had some left over felt from a few projects. I also had recently bought some lace ribbon packs in Michaels Crafts Store dollar section. Along with these cute wood buttons and flags. I love encouraging reading. All my kids big and small are the biggest readers. Although the bigger ones have i Pads or other online reading tools, like me they still like holding a real book in their hands. Now there is another generation of readers in the family coming so I decided to do a spin off the project that I saw to create a gift they can use. Maybe you will want to make your own felt bookmarks.
Get creative decorating them with gluing, iron on s, glitter glue sequins and buttons. It’s so easy! No worries if you can’t sew you can either create them by using clear drying glue and even hand stitching. I’ll point you in the right direction!
Now on to sharing the first of a few bookmarks I am making and after the tutorial 9 other easy bookmark diys!
The supplies you need for this felt bookmark diy are just a few:
- Clear drying glue (Aleene’s Tacky Glue)
- Thin piece of recycled card board
- Embellishments -buttons, glitter glue, sequins, iron on s, lace, ribbon
- Sewing machine & thread (optional)
One piece of felt from the craft store can easily make at least two. Typically it’s super inexpensive there, although the felt isn’t the high quality wool felt. You would need to order that online if you wanted to make them extra special. Honestly the felt from the craft store turns out just fine and are perfect for kids to use! You can make a few and still have left over supplies probably for under $10.
To make these book marks:
- Cut two pieces of felt 9 x 3 inches & cut one cardboard piece the same size just trim slightly smaller to fit inside of bookmark ( 9 inches long, 3 inches wide cut two of felt, one of cardboard)
- Cut One piece of felt 5 x 1 inch ( 5 inches long, 1 inch wide cut one) Fold this in half and glue together
- Take the two pieces of 9 x 3 felt and sew around from side across top and down the other side. (if not sewing glue pieces and let them dry & keep following same directions only gluing)
- Next slip cardboard into sewn felt up from the bottom, insert hang tag (glued 5 x 1/2 inch piece) to bottom edge slightly inside where you will be sewing or gluing
- Sew across bottom with cardboard insert and hang tag inside seam area
- Sew or glue a cut out felt heart to end of hang tag (cut to size you like) To get the perfect heart cut a square of felt, fold in half and start cutting heart shape from bottom to top rounding heart shape at top then open
- Gluing lace (or ribbon) on outside
- Add wood heart button
- Adding silver or gold glitter glue
Wrap it up or insert your felt bookmark into a new book and you have an instant gift!
- Another version of felt bookmark with hand sewn tutorial step by step
- Do you love Kawaii? You’ll love this how to video for a cloud heart bookmark diy
- Heart page edge felt bookmark hand sewn with a few stitches Heart bookmark diy
- Felt Bow Paperclip bookmarks
- Charming Bookmark
- Bookmarks made from sewing scraps Scrap Savvy Bookmark Tutorial
- Your tops in my book Felt Heart Paperclip Tutorial with downloadable card
- Pom Pom bookmark diy
- Easy cut & Glue Felt Bookmark & heart button covers